Post a cohesive response based on your analysis of the Learning Resources and your professional experience. Be sure to discuss the following: “See attachment for detailed instructions
- 3 – 4 paragraphs
- No plagiarism
- APA citing
Put Your Skills to Practical Use
In this week’s Discussion, you will practice the negotiation skills and strategies you have learned. Using the fictional scenario provided, role-play the conflict with a friend, family member, coworker, or anyone willing to participate.
To begin, you and your partner will each select one of the employees mentioned in the scenario below. Provide your partner with a copy of the scenario and try to work out your conflict using negotiation skills and strategies you have learned thus far. No experience or knowledge of conflict is needed for your partner’s character. Simply read the scenario and prepare to role-play.
Two employees, Brian and Jon work in the same enclosed office and there are no other spaces available where either could be shifted. They are becoming increasingly frustrated about how to share the space and be productive. Brian likes to work with the door open, but Jon likes the door closed. Brian tends to shift tasks frequently, talking on his cell phone or speaking to people going by, while Jon prefers to do one task at a time. Jon tends to talk to himself as he is working. Jon also likes to put large sticky notes on the wall to visualize what he is working on, while Brian works primarily on his computer. Brian likes to spread a number of different items out to refer to as he is working and tends to leave them on the floor and all around his desk until he is finished. Both are claiming that each other’s work habits are preventing the other from working to full capacity.
After you have completed the role-playing activity, use the Discussion board to reflect upon the activity and discuss your experiences.
To prepare for this Discussion, pay particular attention to the following Learning Resources:
· Review this week’s Learning Resources, especially:
Post a cohesive response based on your analysis of the Learning Resources and your professional experience. Be sure to discuss the following:
· How did you prepare for this negotiation? Which parts of the Negotiation Preparation Worksheet (Negotiation, 2009) did you complete? What was your goal, BATNA, and what concessions were you prepared to make?
· Describe how the conversation went and what the outcome was. Did you use a competitive or cooperative stance? Why? Did you meet your objective, reach your BATNA, or make concessions? How did these strategies work?
· Assess how your conflict styles played a part in this role-playing activity? Did you learn anything new about your style and approach to conflict?
· Based on the interaction with your partner, assess what your partner’s conflict style might look like. How can your assessment of your partner’s style help you during the negotiation process?
· If you had to do this again with this person, what changes would you make pre-negotiation, during the negotiation and post-negotiation? Explain what you learned as a result of this activity and how that will shape your approach to negotiation in the future.
· 3 – 4 paragraphs
· No plagiarism
· APA citing