Psych 106 Ethical Dilemma Paper
· Cover Page (APA student style)
· Each paper should be 5-8 paragraphs in length (not including references, or cover
· Be typed,
· Use Arial or Times New Roman font no larger than 12 pts.
· Have 1-inch margins
· Have references cited in APA format.
A psychologist works in an outpatient substance abuse treatment facility. His patient reveals, during the course of therapy, that a staff person paid to have sex with another patient, who is a prostitute. The
staff member works in another department in the agency. And, according to the psychologist’s patient,
the patient is not aware that one of her customers works in another part of that facility.
The psychologist does not know the therapist well, but has provided some consultation for the therapist in the past.
The psychologist does not dwell on the situation with the patient. However, after the session, the
psychologist feels uneasy about what his patient revealed.
Follow the 8 steps for ethical decision.
1. Identify the problem or dilemma.
2. Identify the potential issues involved.
3. Review the relevant ethics codes.
4. Know the applicable laws and regulations.
5. Obtain consultation.
6. Consider possible and probable courses of action.
7. Enumerate and consider the possible consequences of various decisions.
8. Choose what appears to be the best course of action.