Annotated bibliography needed by tomorrow night
BIOL180 Assignment 1: The Annotated Bibliography
For this assignment, you will use the “species” you chose for the Week 2 Mini-Presentation.
Objective: The Annotated Bibliography is included as part of the Course Project because it provides the first step in the preparation of your Outline and Final Presentation. One of the issues regarding research, especially in the biosciences, medical, health/nutrition, and exercise/fitness fields, is the credibility of the sources used, particularly those obtained from various websites. By challenging you to carefully evaluate each of your potential sources, the Annotated Bibliography helps you to:
· determine that the source article (e.g., peer-reviewed journal paper, book, website article) you chose is academically and scientifically credible,
· explain how and why your source article is relevant to your course project’s required topics and subtopics (see Outline assignment instructions), and
· list those sources in proper APA reference format (version 6 or 7).
Before You Start:
To prepare for this assignment, I recommend that you:
· Read these directions carefully.
· Review the sample Annotated Bibliography provided to you:
· Read the
BIOL180 Annotated Bibliography Grading Criteria.pdf
. The grading criteria is a detailed evaluation that I will use to assess your performance. It also will help you understand what is expected of you as you prepare your assignment.
· Use your own words (paraphrase). For help with paraphrasing, please review the
‘Quoting and Paraphrasing’ help
in the Trefry Library Writing@APUS Center.
· Note that your Turnitin report similarity score should be under 20% (not including references) and free of paraphrasing issues. Review the color-flagged text on your report, fix any issues, and resubmit again before the deadline (this assignment is set to unlimited submissions until the deadline).
· Note that less than 10% of your work should contain direct quotes.
· Email me with any questions!
Download and fill in this
BIOL180 Annotated Bibliography Template.docx
with the following information for your TWO academically and scientifically credible sources:
1. APA Reference Formatting of Source Article:
Written in APA reference list format (6th or 7th edition). For more help with formatting, see the
What is the purpose of the source article, and how is it relevant to your Course Project’s required topics and subtopics (see Outline assignment instructions)? Briefly address the following points in 4-6 sentences:
· Begin with a “topic sentence” that states the source’s main point. (e.g., This article discusses the ecology of the white-tailed deer in Delaware.).
· Summarize the main findings and conclusions of the peer-reviewed journal paper, book, website article, etc.
· State how the information is relevant to your project’s assigned topics and subtopics.
After summarizing the source article, it is necessary to evaluate it and state where you found it (journal, website, book, etc.). Briefly answer the following questions in 4-6 sentences:
· What is the format/type of source article (e.g., peer-reviewed journal paper, book, website article)?
· Is the author an authority/expert for the topic? Explain how the author is qualified (see below).
· For subject-matter experts, provide their credentials (e.g. degrees earned, professional or academic affiliations, published works)
· For freelance/professional writers (non-experts), state if all reference sources are academically and scientifically credible and provide an example.
· For undergraduate-student writers (non-experts), include the subject-matter expert that may have edited or reviewed their work.
· If no author is listed, move on to discuss the publishing source.
· How is the publishing source (e.g., the website’s sponsoring organization, journal, book publisher) credible? (e.g., The Journal of Mammalian Research is the peer-reviewed journal of the Society of Mammalian Researchers which is comprised of subject-matter expert members and published quarterly by the University of Linux.)
For more help, see this handout on
*Writing Expectations: Apply scientific concepts and use scientific terminology correctly. Utilize proper spelling, grammar, and punctuation
Evaluation: Please review the
BIOL180 Annotated Bibliography Grading Criteria.pdf
that describe how your annotated bibliography will be graded.
1. You must submit your Annotated Bibliography as a “Microsoft Word” document using the template provided (rather than a Word Pad, Works, etc. document) AND title your file name as FirstnameLastname_BIOL180_Assg1.doc. Otherwise, you will not receive credit for your assignment.
2. Upload your assignment for grading by selecting the “Add a File” section.
3. The new screen will prompt you to select the “My Computer” button so you can locate the MS Word document of your Annotated Bibliography on your computer.
4. Find the file and double-select on it.
5. Select “Continue”.
6. Double-check to ensure that your annotated bibliography was successfully uploaded as an attachment.
7. When you have completed this assignment, type “Completed” in the rich text editor box below.
8. Select the “Submit” button.
9. Your annotated bibliography is automatically submitted to Turnitin with your submission: Papers will be automatically added to and checked against the standard Turnitin repositories. Originality reports will be returned to the faculty and student in roughly 15 minutes of the submission. Multiple submissions are allowed before the due date. If you wish to learn more about and how to access Turnitin.com, a plagiarism detection website, visit the Trefry Online Library, APUS Writing Center.