Submit a 3-page paper that addresses the following:
To prepare: Watch the TED Talk by Sangu Delle and then review the readings for this week. Focus on Delle’s examples illustrating Corrigan’s model about the stages of stigma and the hierarchy of disclosure. Consider Delle’s experience against that model.
· Briefly explain Corrigan’s model of the stages of stigma and his recommendations and hierarchy about recovery.
· Explain whether Delle’s experience follows that model. Use specific examples to argue your perspective. If you agree, identify which stage of recovery Delle is in.
· Analyze Delle’s reports about his own experiences with both types of stigma. Provide specific examples, and in your analysis consider the following questions:
· Does one type of stigma predominate in his talk?
· Which of Delle’s personal values or beliefs were challenged by his internalizations about his own illness and help-seeking?
· What strengths does he exhibit?
· What was the primary benefit of his diagnosis?
· Do you think his experience would be different if his culture was different? Explain why or why not?
Corrigan, P. W. (2007). How clinical diagnosis might exacerbate the stigma of mental illness. Social Work, 52(1), 31.
There’s no shame in taking care of your mental health
When stress got to be too much for TED Fellow Sangu Delle, he had to confront his own deep prejudice: that men shouldn’t take care of their mental health. In a personal talk, Delle shares how he learned to handle anxiety in a society that’s uncomfortable with emotions. As he says: “Be…