Older population assignment
Interview Guide for N317 Interview Paper
Use the following suggested questions as you conduct your N317 interview. Please see
the paper guidelines and rubric for more specific information related to this assignment.
• What year were you born?
• Tell me about your education. Schools attended? Ethnic origin?
• What gender is the interviewee?
• Tell me about the jobs you’ve had since you first began working until your
• Are you presently managing your own financial affairs?
• Are you having any difficulty in this area?
• Do you go to any particular church?
• Participate in religious activities?
• Have you had any serious illnesses in the past?
• Are you presently seeing a doctor on a regular basis? If so, for what
• What types of medications are you currently taking? (include over the counter).
• How do you compare yourself physically and mentally to other adults your age?
• What is your definition of health?
• Does the client have any obstacles to performing the Instrumental Activities of
• Does the client use any assistive devices?
• How would you describe yourself?
• What things in life are now especially important to you?
• What do you consider the most significant events in your life? (Example:
Marriage, first job, birth of children, winning an award).
• What have been the pleasant “surprises” in your life?
• What have been the unexpected events that had a major impact on who you
• About your family, do you have any living children?
• Do you have any living brothers or sisters?
• Is there anyone whom you can talk to when you have worries or
difficulties? (Determine who and the relationship)
• Whom do you rely on for help? (What is the client’s mode of transportation)?
• Is there anyone who helps you with grocery shopping, getting to appointments,
getting prescriptions filled?
• Do you live alone or with others? (Describe)
• Describe the living facilities, space, satisfaction with living arrangement, actual or
potential safety hazards, exposure to stressors and hazards.
• Describe for me a typical day for you.
• What kinds of things do you do to pass the time? (Example: employed (full or
part time), attend senior activities, gardening, painting, handwork, visit with
• Do you have a favorite activity that you like to do most?
• How often do you get together with friends? family?
• What do you enjoy most about this stage of life?
• Compared with your younger years, how would you rate your present level of
happiness and satisfaction?
• What are your future plans or goals?